Shalini Nair, BPH ’20, MPH ’21

Hometown: Homestead, FL

Major: Public Health, Combined Degree: MPH in Epidemiology

Minor: Health Disparities in Society & Anthropology

Why major in Public Health?

I always knew I wanted to pursue a career in health, but I never knew much about the field of public health until I came to UF. Public health perfectly combines the vast array of multidisciplinary factors affecting health. It is more than medicine alone – several unexpected factors can affect the health of a population. It is this variety and intrigue that led me to pursue public health as a degree.

What is most interesting about public Health?

How interdisciplinary it is – so many different factors have to fall into place in order to ensure human health.

Why did you choose UF?

My brother was accepted to UF when I was in middle school, and I’ve been part of a gator family ever since. When it was my turn to apply to colleges, UF was without a doubt my dream school.

What Experience at UF has been most influential?

My experience with Dance Marathon at UF was by far the most influential. It showed me just how powerful a group of people can be when they have a common goal and a passion for what they are doing.

Do you participate in extracurriculars? If so which?

During my time at UF I have participated in the Freshman Leadership Program, been part of a local community service sorority, and spent two years with Dance Marathon at UF. More recently my extracurriculars consist mainly of research through the UF Health Cancer Center.

What are your professional goals?

I am currently working towards an MPH focused in Epidemiology. Post graduation I am considering PHD programs and I ultimately hope to work in the field of epidemiology – hopefully at the CDC or NIH.

What do you like to do for fun?

I spend a lot of my free time at the gym/being active or hanging out with my family and friends.

What advice do you have for prospective students?

It’s okay to not have it all figured out – go with your gut and follow your interests and everything else will eventually fall into place.