Megan Bohan, BPH ’20, MPH ’21

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Major: Public Health; Combined Degree: MPH in Social Behavioral Sciences

Minor: Health Disparities

Why major in Public Health?

I’ve always been interested health, human rights, human behavior, culture, and the interconnectedness of people and their environment. Public health is a field that encompasses all of these disciplines, and encourages students to become interdisciplinary masters. I think it’s really cool just how broad public health can be, and how many different ways one can use a degree in public health to explore the world around them and make a difference.

What is most interesting about public Health?

The broad nature of this field makes it extremely interesting. Every news article or global event that happens relates to public health in some way. We, as humans, are all so invested and impacted by public health, sometimes without even knowing we are!

Why did you choose UF?

My older sister was a Gator and seeing how happy she was here made me really want to become a Gator too. She was always doing weird fun things that I just had to try it out for myself.

What experience at UF has been most influential?

My global public health study abroad was by far the most influential experience at UF so far. It allowed me to experience first hand just a couple of the multitude of things one can do with training in public health.

Do you participate in extracurriculars? If so which?

I am on the Club Soccer team and Club Flag Football team

Do you have any jobs while in college? What do you do?

I am an assistant soccer coach for Women’s Varsity Soccer at Oak Hall School..

What are your professional goals?

Understand human behavior and culture and how that shapes people’s access to and utilization of health care. I also want work to create more culturally competent sustainable policy when it comes to living healthy lives in healthy environments

What do you like to do for fun?

Go outside! I really like boats! Anything with watersports or hiking!

What advice do you have for prospective students?

Take time to sit with yourself and decide what you’re truly interested in! Public health has so many opportunities and concentrations since it’s such a broad field and even if you don’t feel like you know what you want to do, have patience with yourself and respect the time of exploration!