Date of graduation is based on the approved Plan of Study, which reflects the timeline required to complete all BPH program requirements.
The following requirements must be satisfied to graduate with a Bachelor of Public Health degree:
- Successfully complete 120 semester credit hours.
- Of the 120 required hours, successfully complete 60 hours at the 3000 level or above.
- Successfully complete BPH program required core and elective requirements.
- Successfully complete all coursework with an overall GPA of 2.0
- Successfully complete all BPH core courses with a grade of C or higher in each course.
- Successfully complete 6-9 credits of college electives with a grade of D or higher in each course.
- Successfully complete 6-9 credits of specialty electives with a grade of D or higher in each course.
- Clear all incomplete grades.
- If on probation during the graduating term, successfully complete College probation contract at least two days prior to graduation.
- Complete a BPH program evaluation form (Degree Candidate Exit Survey) by the last day of classes in the graduating term. This form is placed on the BPH website a few weeks before the end of spring term.
- Successfully complete all University requirements for graduation.
- Successfully complete the online degree application on ONE.UF by the deadline. After the deadline, you will receive an e-mail confirmation of UF’s receipt of your application. The confirmation includes information on how to verify your name and degree and information about ordering regalia.
Graduating with Honors
The College has three levels of honors: cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude. The qualifications for each are listed below.
The honors designation (at any level) upon graduation will be reserved from students without honor code violations. This policy applies to honor code violations that occur at any time at the University of Florida, from freshman through senior year. If you are interested in graduating with honors and have questions about the process, please talk with Dr. Jamie Pomeranz.
Cum Laude Requirements:
- GPA of at least 3.50 in all 3000 level or high coursework after reaching 60 academic credits.
- Approval of dean’s office based on review of overall record
Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude Requirements:
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.75 in all 3000 level or high coursework after reaching 60 academic credits.
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.85 in all 3000 level or high coursework after reaching 60 academic credits.
- Completion of the Honors Seminar (HSC 4969): Spring term of the junior year (Dr. Lisa Clifford, honors seminar director)
- Completion of a minimum of 6 credits of the Honors Thesis course HSC 4970 for all public health majors. Students must register for credit each semester they are working on their honors project, including 3 credits required in summer following the junior year.
- Appropriate participation in College Research Fair.
- Completion of honors project and corresponding thesis of high quality by College deadline.
- Recommendation of magna or summa cum laude distinction by the faculty mentor and approval of dean’s office based on review of overall college record and project quality.